Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Be the Person you Want To Become


For so long I have battled with self condemnation and negative thoughts. They have been so great that they have completely plagued my mind and almost taken over my life. I would continuously set myself little goals “Ok, over the next three weeks I am only going to think positive thoughts, I’m only going to eat healthy foods and exercise at least 3-4 times a week”. But, sure enough, like many people I would fall short of this goal within the first few hours. However, I finally feel like I have broken free from this painstaking bondage that had captured my life and stolen my youth. And now, I look back on each time that I failed, not as a failure or complete waste of time, but as an opportunity to find out what not to do!
Paul writes in Philippians 1:20 -

“I live in eager expectation and hope that I will never do anything that causes
me shame, but that I will always be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past, and that my life will always honour Christ”
In this passage, Paul discusses the type of person that he wants to be or sees himself as. I have a certain feeling that when Paul wrote this, he would still have had in mind many times when he wasn’t all of this. And that is why he also writes “I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” (NAS) because he wasn’t all there yet. However, I learned something from this. Paul was declaring positive things over his life. He wasn’t focusing on the past failures, but on the person that he wanted to become. Change has occurred in my life since I have begun focusing on the type of person that I want to be – instead of thinking about the person I wasn’t! My Aunty actually coined a particular phrase which has helped me through this bondage it is:

“Be the person your want to Become”.
I want to become a person who is constantly moving forward, motivated, passionate and VERY fruitful. I want to see the success of my efforts, I want to be a humble and forgiving person, who is not easily angered. I want to achieve the goals that I have set out for my life.
So, if you happen to be struggling with self condemnation or comparing yourself with other people, I urge you, keep pressing on in this battle. You WILL get there, there is hope. His name is Jesus Christ. And even though your answer isn’t instant, the end result is worth it! Believe it from someone who has come through to the end!

No comments: