Monday, July 14, 2008

The Power of Worship

Last week I returned from the Hillsong Conference in Sydney. And, just as I was expecting, it was absolutely fantastic. I have come back from the conference feeling re-fueled, re-fired and reinvigorated.

To put it in picture format, I feel like I have had a steam bath in the spirit! If anyone has ever had a cold with a stuffy nose and then experienced a steam bath (where you put boiling water in a tub and place a tea towel over your head) then you will know what I mean. My head feels completely cleared and fresh -ready for what lies ahead of me.

Before heading out the door to Hillsong I silently wondered if I was doing the right thing. I knew within my spirit that God had provided the way for me to go and that he wanted me to be there - but, like most of us, I actually wondered if God knew what He was doing. Didn't He know that I had my internship beginning straight after I returned? Didn't He know that I was struggling to get everything done that I needed to? Well it appears as if he does, because I don’t know if I would have been able to cope with the pressure of everything on my shoulders if it had not have been for that week away. Obviously it was only God that knew I needed that break. Before heading down to the Hillsong conference I was crumbling under the pressure of the work load and trying to carry the burden of too many other things. But now, I can hardly put to words how good I feel. And now, I am determined to keep the fire burning.

While I was at the conference, a well known preacher by the name of Joseph Prince said that "Preaching deals with Concepts, while praise and worship deals with the power of God". In essence, it means that without the presence of God in our lives, all we have is our own strength. We need to spend time in God's presence - praising God's name, worshiping Him, getting down on our knees and fully surrendering our lives to Him - in order to receive His strength. We can listen to all the preaching we want to, but it's not until we actually spend time in His presence that we are going to receive the strength to be able to accomplish the tasks God has for us. I used to get so downcast when I failed to meet the standards preachers often used to talk about. I so much wanted to be "ALL that God called me to be", but each and every day I would find myself falling short of the glory of God. I would disrespect my parents, take offense toward someone, over indulge in food, say the wrong things - and the list goes on. But now I know the secret to developing a heart devoted to God - spending time in His presence. I have found that listening to pure praise and worship music draws me into His presence quicker - however, there are times when silence is necessary. It's really about finding what works best for you. It has taken me so long to work this out, so don’t get discouraged if the presence of God doesn’t come right away. Keep pressing in, praise His name, declaring His word - and He WILL turn up! Do you know how I know this? Because His word says "But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever. Protect them, so all who love your name may be filled with joy" Psalm 5:11

The lyrics to the following song really helped to inspire this writing. As I read the words to the song, it takes me back to some of the moments at the conference where God really moved upon my life. As I have talked about in previous blogs, song lyrics really speak to me. I often get revelation after revelations just listening tot the words of songs.
Desert Song: From "This Is Our God" by Hillsong

This is my prayer in the desert
when all that's within me feels dry
this is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flame

I will bring praise, I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice, I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

This is my prayer in the battle
When triumph is still on it's way
I am a conquerer and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand

I will bring praise I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice i will declare
God is my victory and He is here

All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

No comments: